Saturday, October 1, 2011

Vegan in Las Vegas


It's day 1 of Vegan MoFo and we're celebrating Ed's birthday with friends in Las Vegas. Due to the insane amount of hours I've been working lately, and the very laid back demeanor of my partner, I didn't have time to do any planning before we arrived in Sin City. I figured that my happycow.net app would guide me safely through the mecca of steak houses and buffets. Unfortunately, the app had very few options listed and I starved my way through the first day with only a plate of bok choy in my belly. Not a good start to the weekend. This girl likes to EAT!

What's a vegan girl to do?

Immediately after rolling out of bed this morning I hit the computer and did a Bing search for Vegan in Vegas. Thanks to a few great posts by Quarrygirl , I was able to locate several options that satisfied my requirement for finding tasty vegan food while also accomodating my omnivorous friends. Finding her posts was like betting it all and being dealt a Royal Flush. Money baby!

Lesson for today: when you are in pursuit of vegginess and traveling with non-vegan companions, it's worth the extra effort to research local options that can accomodate both of your dietary choices. We need to eat well to feel well!

Turns out that every restaurant at the Wynn has a vegan menu available. Surfing through all of the menu options made my salivary glands go into over-drive. Lucky for me, the Wynn is only a monorail away from MGM.

If I had access to car, I would also drive out to visit  red velvet cafe and ronald’s donuts . Ronald's promises to be the best vegan donut shop ever. I happen to think that Mighty O donuts in Seattle has the best donuts in the world so I might have to take a taxi out there and give them a try. I'm not a big sweets eater but I'm for this challenge.

I've got my soy latte in hand, list restaurants to conquer and am ready to venture out into the Las Vegas heat. I will happily report back to you with reviews and photos from my culinary experiences in the very near future.

In the meantime, enjoy this "Viva Las Vegas" video from the Dead Kennedys!



Sending you extra vitamin D from the Vegas sunshine,

No comments: